When applying for a comprehensive health insurance plan, any pre-existing medical conditions and health issues you had in the past could potentially affect your coverage. With this in mind, it is important to know what constitutes a pre-existing condition and what implications they may have on securing health insurance in the UK.
What is a pre-existing medical condition?
In short, pre-existing conditions are medical conditions that you have before your health insurance policy begins. It describes anything that you’ve had medical treatment for in the past. This includes any surgery, medication, consultations or any other treatment received from the National Health Service (NHS) or a private health company.
Generally, pre-existing conditions include:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
Insurers in the UK typically include any conditions you have had treatment for during the past three to seven years.
Can I get health insurance if I have a pre-existing condition?
While you can get health insurance even if you have a pre-existing condition, most policies indicate when they can pay out to treat pre-existing conditions.
If you want to find out more and get your application evaluated today, click on the button below for a free quote.
What are the possible outcomes when securing pre-existing insurance coverage?
In the UK, when you approach an insurer for pre-existing condition insurance coverage, you are likely to be given one of five outcomes:
1. Full coverage as normal, which includes your pre-existing conditions (this may be the case if your pre-existing condition is something minor). However, be sure to check the policy’s terms to see which conditions it can include.
2. Full coverage including your pre-existing conditions, but with a premium loading. A premium loading, as the term suggests, means a higher premium, so if you have complete cover then be prepared to pay more on the policy.
3. Full coverage for your pre-existing conditions after a moratorium period. A moratorium, also known as a waiting period, is the period of time you must wait before the policy begins covering. This is normally about two years in the UK, though it can vary depending on the insurer.
4. Limited insurance coverage, excluding any pre-existing conditions (exclusion plans). This means you will receive health insurance cover, but your pre-existing conditions will be completely excluded.
5. In the worst case, your application will be declined entirely. If this were to happen, the reason could be due to the high frequency of claims or high costs involved in providing coverage.
How do I find the right pre-existing condition insurance plan?
Our goal to simplify health insurance for clients begins with our online quotation tool.
The comparison tool will allow you to receive a quick, online quote based on the following criteria:
- Your country of cover
- The length of coverage required
- The type of coverage you will need
- Your age and gender
Based on these details, the tool will provide you with a number of options that you can use to compare quality medical insurance plans. Check out the online quotation tool below!
Need help finding a UK pre-existing condition insurance plan?
Time is of the essence when looking for a pre-existing health insurance plan. Instead of wasting time searching on your own, speak to one of our health insurance experts today for unmatched guidance and support. Our experts will have you set on a plan in no time.
Click on the button below to begin your journey with Pacific Prime UK.
If you have a pre-existing condition then it is recommended that you check out our guide to obtaining long term health insurance. We highly advise all of our clients to purchase cost-effective health insurance with the view of keeping it for the long term.
Download your free copy today to unlock a wealth of advice and knowledge on finding the best long term health insurance solution.
If you are in need of health insurance cover for your pre-existing conditions, then Pacific Prime UK is the go-to broker for all your needs.
Pacific Prime UK, a world-leading broker
Pacific Prime UK partners with only the best insurance providers to deliver tailored private health insurance plans for individuals and corporate clients in the UK and across greater Europe.
With over 20 years of experience dealing with over 120,000 clients, we thoroughly understand the impact that pre-existing conditions have on securing health insurance. That is why our experts can help you navigate the course of attaining health insurance plans that match your requirements and budget.